Please note – auditions are for proper placement in each class and ensemble and to ascertain each students ability. If you have any questions about requirements please contact Joey@westchesterjazzcenter.com
- Prepare a written solo or etude that represents the style of music you are most comfortable with. The degree of difficulty should demonstrate fully your capabilities on your instrument and showcase your musicianship.
- Prepare a “standard” from within the genre you are most interested in. To be performed with the director.
- Soloist are also required to perform an improvised solo within 2 contrasting styles. May use pre-recorded tracks or an accompanist.
- Sight-read a “chart” or “lead-sheet” along with the director.
- Perform an improvised solo within 2 contrasting styles. May use pre-recorded tracks or an accompanist.
- Demonstrate improv fundamentals on your instrument-modes and other basic scales; common scale and harmonic patterns; arppegiate common chord progressions
Please note: those interested in studying improvisation without any prior experience, we offer a beginning improvisation class! All instruments welcome.
- Entrance test to determine level: 101 (beginner); 102 (intermediate); 103 (advanced)
Composition and Arranging:
- Submit 3 compositions and/or arrangements demonstrating a variety of instrumentations, styles and harmonic/melodic tension.